Forum home The potting shed

Seedlings need thinning out?

SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 237
edited 21 January in The potting shed
I am a beginner at sowing and only just started. 
I sowed some Dierama seeds at the end of November, they germinated well in my heated workshop, but though I tried to sow them thinly, perhaps I should thin out some more? Or even potting them up or is it too premature?

Any advice is welcome

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,990
    Yes, you need to thin them out and pot them on.

Have a look a this info from the RHS and scroll down to "propagating" - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/dierama/growing-guide 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,565
    I wouldn't thin them but if you do, just pull some out, don't try to separate them. They HATE any disturbance. If the roots are overcrowded, I would break off  chunks of the compost, with the seedlings and put it straight into another pot. Otherwise, I would move them into a cool, frostfree place and leave them alone. You can pot up the chunks again as needed and plant them out when big enough. I keep my dierama in containers for a couple of years but they do self seed very easily. The golden rule is to disturb them as little as possible.
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 237
    @Obelixx and @Posy Thank you very much for your feedback. I trolled the internet some more and found some instructive videos, and indeed they don't seem to even touch the tray for one year before potting up. But I am worried about the fact that they're flopping. They may be too warm as the workshop averages 20 degrees, and while there is light there is never sun as the windows are north facing. But moving them now to a cold frame (I do not have a greenhouse alas) would be risky with the temperature shock :/

(it's my overall problem: the locations I have are either very chilly or rather warm, no in-between)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,548
    edited 22 January
    Hi @SophieK Having grown several batches and types of Dierama, I agree with @Posy .
    Mine stay in the cold frame (after separating into clumps of seedlings and potted on) for about 2-3 years before they are ready to plant out.  I would pot them as described, give them a week inside to recover and then start hardening them off by placing in to cold frame during the day and bring back (to somewhere as cool as possible but frost-free) each night.  I sow them directly into pots now to eliminate the transplanting stage.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    @BobTheGardener Thank you very much for your response. I will follow your advice and process. This will be my task for the weekend.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,548
    edited 22 January
    I would wait until the current hard night frosts (if they are getting to your area) have passed and also consider leaving half the tray undisturbed (you can just fill the other half with compost) but kept somewhere cooler, just in case the potted ones object to the disturbance. ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    @BobTheGardener Thank you again, Bob, only disturbing half of the tray is good advice, and holding off the move is timely as the next few nights are said to be around -3C in London.