Forum home Plants

Rose similar to ghislaine

FfoxgloveFfoxglove Posts: 538
Hello gardeners!
Random question: I got a rose called ghislaine de feligonde last spring and I really love it.
 I especially like the way the leaves stay quite green in the winter and stay on the plant. I believe it is a musk.
I'd like a similar plant to grow on an arch. 
Can anyone recommend a rose that is similar?
Many thank!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,008
    Why not another Ghislaine?  I was given one and am growing it up a trellis and it should be fine over an arch.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    There is also a pink sport (called simply Pink Ghislaine de Feligonde), although harder to get. It is sold by Roseraie Ducher in France (I believe Marlorena mentioned getting a phytosanitary certificate from them, so there is a good chance they are prepared for Brexit).
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    I admired Pink GdF recently on the Ducher website @edhelka, there is also another more deeply coloured sport of GdeF called Feuerwerk, but not sure of that’s sold in the UK? The VAT confusion seems to be another barrier to imports and exports to and from the UK at the moment. I have a consignment held up in the UK because customs officials on both sides of the channel are apparently being ‘difficult’ according to the transport company. 

How about one of the semi-evergreen sempervirens hybrids, like Adelaide d’Orleans or Felicite et Perpetue? Trevor White sells both. I am rather taken with Adelaide!
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove Posts: 538
    Hi all, thank you so much for the replies!
    I wanted a stronger colour because the arch and wall behind is cream otherwise I would get more gh de f roses for sure @edhelka
    I will checkout the sepmrevivens ones you mention @Nollie and the pink sport to see if I can get it here in the UK.
    Thank you! 
  • Among the Hybrid Musks, a few are hefty enough to tackle an arch and stronger in colour than Ghislaine--'Vanity' and 'Cornelia', for example. In some years these can be evergreen, but it's a bit hit or miss. The Banksian roses are evergreen and reliably so. I vaguely remember David Austin's 'Snow Goose' being a really nice short evergreen climber. But those are all pale. So too is 'Etain' which I grew and liked, and reminded me of Ghislaine.

I seem to remember 'Rose Marie Viaud' having especially nice leaves, too. Cannot remember whether they were in any sense evergreen.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    I would choose 'Phyllis Bide' or 'Pink Skyliner'.. for your purposes there.. 
    East Anglia, England
    Hi @Marlorena thank you for your recommendations. The longer I garden for the more reluctant I feel I am to make mistakes and I really appreciate the advice I get on this forum! 
     Would you choose pink skyliner over purple skyliner?
    Phillys bide looks stunning! 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    @Ffoxglove
    ...I would choose Purple for my own garden, that's the one I've grown here.. it has a similar growth habit to GdeF... but I just thought you might prefer the pink one...  Purple Skyliner is outstanding when established.. it takes off in the 2nd season..

East Anglia, England
    Thank you, I don't mind on colour really I was just looking for something to stand out against the cream background of the wall. Purple skyliner would work! 
  • I've tried 'Purple Skyliner', which didn't perform so well for me, alas. But purples are very nice against a pale backdrop. It's still quite hard to get short climbers/ramblers that are long-flowering AND disease-resistant. You could look into "Perennial Blue", but I haven't grown that so can't say how it behaves in 'real world' conditions: https://www.styleroses.co.uk/buy-plants/perennial-blue-rambling-rose