Forum home The potting shed

Training your partner to use the kitchen compost bin

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,148
    Suesyn said:
    I can't train my OH not to put fruit stones in the compost. So far I have discovered avocado and peach happily growing in a mature compost heap. (Yes, I probably should be using it a bit sooner!). 
    If you can break the outer coating then they compost just fine. Just cut avocado seeds in half with a knife (if you do the tap and twist removal technique then you're halfway there) and things like mango seeds will chop up with secateurs very easily. I sieve my compost as it comes out of the bin and chuck any old fruit stones that are still a bit hard back in for another go around.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,877
    I can't remember the last time my OH prepared food that would result in anything compostable. He'll eat some salad and veg if it's on his plate but he won't prep or cook it himself, and as for fruit, forget it.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,649
    Thanks for the laughs everyone!  It's good to vent mild frustrations now and again.
    Utah, USA.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,649
    Fire said:
    New husband?
    Sound idea @Fire, except it's near impossible to find sexy men with British accents in these parts of Utah.. and with no travel possibility in the near future, I think I'll persevere for a while longer.  
    Utah, USA.
  • MontysGalMontysGal South WalesPosts: 67
    This made me giggle as I literally had this conversation with my husband for the trillionth time tonight as I caught him about to put the fat from the ham in the kitchen Compost caddy. I just showed him this thread and he mumbled something grumpy along the lines of “See, it’s not just me...”
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,431
    OH Swap Thread?
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,094
    Am I allowed to complain about 2 people ? Mrs Wilderbeast is hopeless with all the rubbish she would shove the lot in then general waste bin, to be fair she admits she just can't be bothered so do all of it. And bless my mum who saves all here compost waste for me, food waste, leaves, grass clippings, crisp packets, contact lens packets, envelopes with the little window everything !!!!!! Ive tried really hard to train her but I've decided its just a form of revenge for younger years of drunken rowdy behaviour after a goodnight out 🤣🤣
  • stephentamestephentame Southwest EnglandPosts: 161
    I find that if I I simply put the incorrectly placed compost material in my partner's underwear drawer then she develops an interest in a conversation about correct placing of such things.