Forum home The potting shed

Leaflets in GW

I have subscribed to GW for many years and I applaud the change of the wrapper, but I do object to all the leaflets inside the wrapper and then inside the magazine.   Now days I just shake the wrapper and the magazine over the bin.

While I appreciate that you gain income from them, you always rightly promote care for the environment. Can creating thousands of leaflets is not really keeping up with the message. OK they can be recycled but there is the cost of production and that trees are felled in the first place and then that only a percentage of the leaflets are recycled.

Is it possible for subscribers to request that no leaflets are included?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    Only 12 bits of junk mail in the magazine that arrived today. I hope you retrieved the free seeds before dumping it into the recycling bin?
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,745
    Derwent said:

I have subscribed to GW for many years and I applaud the change of the wrapper, but I do object to all the leaflets inside the wrapper and then inside the magazine.   Now days I just shake the wrapper and the magazine over the bin.

While I appreciate that you gain income from them, you always rightly promote care for the environment. Can creating thousands of leaflets is not really keeping up with the message. OK they can be recycled but there is the cost of production and that trees are felled in the first place and then that only a percentage of the leaflets are recycled.

Is it possible for subscribers to request that no leaflets are included?

You’d probably have to significantly increase your subscription 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 190
    Only 12 bits of junk mail in the magazine that arrived today. I hope you retrieved the free seeds before dumping it into the recycling bin?
    Only half an hour ago my OH opened our GW and commented Look at all these pamphlets ! Is there any need for all these ! and I said they are the same ones every month. But the free seeds will blooming in my garden in the summer ! 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,227
    Rather than chucking them in the bin, they go straight into the recycling pile. I assume there must be some take up of the offers/products provided .
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 796
    If you hate flyers Royal Mail also have an opt out form you can fill in to stop all unaddressed mail (leaflets) dropping through your door. I cannot recommend the service highly enough having opted out several years ago.

The downloadable form can be found on the Citizens Advice page  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/post/stop-getting-junk-mail/
  • DerwentDerwent Posts: 4
    AnniD said:
    Rather than chucking them in the bin, they go straight into the recycling pile. I assume there must be some take up of the offers/products provided .
    Yes, we do recycle them but that takes out the energy used in creating them and the fact that trees were destroyed in the first place. Plus of course only a percentage of the leaflets will be recycled. 
  • DerwentDerwent Posts: 4
    If you hate flyers Royal Mail also have an opt out form you can fill in to stop all unaddressed mail (leaflets) dropping through your door. I cannot recommend the service highly enough having opted out several years ago.

The downloadable form can be found on the Citizens Advice page  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/post/stop-getting-junk-mail/
    I did that several years ago but that does not stop the ones inside magazines. Strangely other magazines I get don't have them.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,206
    edited 19 January
    Magazines need advertising revenue to make up for the lack of income from purely sales and subscriptions.  They will appear either as pages within the mag or as loose leaflets.   At least the latter can be recycled on the compost heap more easily than a whole magazine.

The only alternative to all that paper is an online subscription.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw