Forum home Garden design

decking

hi can anyone tell me the best paint for decking i have tried stain but it comes off when you jetwash it or hose it down

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    edited January 2021
    Why do you need to paint it?   Usually decking is left to age and weather naturally.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    Any paint will come off if you're jet washing it. 
    Stains are longer lasting, but they need several applications. Again, jet washing would tend to remove it. 
    I've never used anything on decking. If it's good quality, treated timber, it doesn't need anything. I used to do mine every couple of years with a stiff broom and a little washing up liquid to remove any build up of moss or similar. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JohnnypJohnnyp MorayshirePosts: 68
    I oil mine with decking oil from Toolstation every year and it looks great, medium oak . I wouldn't paint it !! When you apply the oil you can see it soaking into the wood ,£22 for a 5 litre tin .

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    I'd go for oil too but the wood has to be clean and dry when it's applied.  Mind you I do it to my teak table and other bits of garden wood.  Don't have a deck.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    edited January 2021
    Best to get composite decking. I am a person who inherited composite decking - it will grow algae etc and get mud stains which need maybe 1-2 jet washes per year. As a person who knows someone with wooden decking, they need painting regularly because staining or painting won't prevent it from a) need painting/staining regularly or b) need replacing with composite decking.
    If I had inherited a wooden deck then I'd be scrubbing it (wire brush) and putting cuprinol on it. If that didn't work I'd staple chicken wire (to stop it being slippy) and *whatever was necesssary next*.
  • TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 62
    Oil here also. We use the Danish kind. Power wash after winter and the first few dry/mild days of spring forecast, we slap the oil on. Done until next year.
  • edited December 2021
    I'd avoid painting the deck, staining is much better and won't flake away. You can restain the deck each early-spring. Alternatively go for composite decking - it's great in my garden  :)
  • @muhammad.kayleenePAm-VF8 thats great to hear you recommend composite, how big an area have you covered? 

We have been considering some for our garden project next year but dont have a huge space so it is a pricy option. What brand do you have? We were thinking this board: https://ecodek.co.uk/decking/solid-composite-decking/

The guarantee looks good but has anyone got any?