Forum home Garden design

New build & new to gardening - I've had a go, but any help and advice welcome!

13»

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,790
    You've done wonders there and should be very proud of what you've achieved.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 8,082
    It's looking great, well done!
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    edited July 2021
    I was thinking about this space and can see a path between the two seating areas. And I can see an arbour on the far fence.

Some height and structure might be useful. Creating two lawn areas (or two beds) on either side of the path might help to soften / blend edges and disguise /offset the opposed angles.

Just some thoughts.

I like @edhelka's use of space in a seemingly square shaped ish garden, with arches and arbours and a central bed. I'm not suggesting the same for you - I thought it might offer some inspiration from E.

• ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,068
    What a beautiful garden you have created, just lovely. Well done!
  • Thanks everyone @WillowBark @raisingirl @Lizzie27 @JennyJ @Ergates :smile:

@Fire thanks for your suggestions, for now it's staying as it is! I did consider a path running around the edge with some border planting, but plants are expensive and we also do skittles and lawn game kind of things on the lawn, so for now I'd rather have the space I think. I think it looks more angular with the picture taken above, the curved borders and the patio at an angle has definitely softened the edges from what it was before. We're thinking about maybe some form of temporary sail for some extra shade, but that might have to wait a while. @edhelka's garden is lovely and doing a video is a really useful way to show what's planted where and take you on a journey through the garden, so thanks for sharing :smile: 
  • TSMTSM Posts: 39
    looks amazing, very inspirational, as i too am new to all this and getting lots of ideas. What have you planted between the Hydrangeas, on pic July 29th?
  • Thanks @TSM there are hosta francee and the small round things are hebe rakaiensis, in the far back corner there are a couple of nicotiana and behind the hydrangeas are sarcococca confusa. Also planning on putting in some hellebores and spring bulbs in that space. Hope that helps!