Forum home Plants

Quick growing tree or shrub suggestions

Hi,

Just registered on here. I'm completely new to gardening, so if I ask anything stupid please forgive me!

I bought my first house early last year, and spent the last year sorting out the house. I now want to start on the garden.

First thing I want to do is get some privacy from my irritating neighbours. As their garden is slightly higher than mine they can see right over the fence and into my kitchen. I'm sick of him watching me make my dinner!

So basically I want a tree or shrub that I can plant up against the fence. The basic requirements are for it to be a fast grower, but won't exceed 2.5m to 3m in height when fully grown. Also it will be about 10ft from the house so nothing where the roots will affect foundations. Something pretty would be an added bonus

Anyone have any suggestions? 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019
    There is a basic rule of shrubs and trees - anything that grows fast will not stop at the height you want but carry on growing far too big and become a liability or just a pain.

You would be better off considering a structure such as trellis or a pergola which can be attractive in its own right but also support a climber which will give you added interest, colour, perfume, form.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    edited January 2021
    A large shrub like Cotinus coggyria (smoke bush) would possibly be better if you want it to stop at 2.5-3m.

Remember the closer the shrub/tree is to your window, the smaller it needs to be. If you have a patio outside your window, you could put a topiary lolipop in a tub exactly where you want it to obstruct the view of you peeling your spuds.

Have you considered raising the fence a bit (if you own it) or putting trellis on top?
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil Posts: 778
    edited January 2021
    Welcome to the forum!

If you get something like a pear or apple you can keep it trimmed to about that height easy enough and they are often sold at about 2metre height. If you want something to naturally stay at that size them maybe myrtle, forsythia or pyracantha might be options. If it was my garden maybe this cotoneaster variety would be my choice.
    Happy gardening!
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 335
    Loxley said:
    A large shrub like Cotinus coggyria (smoke bush) would possibly be better if you want it to stop at 2.5-3m.

Remember the closer the shrub/tree is to your window, the smaller it needs to be. If you have a patio outside your window, you could put a topiary lolipop in a tub exactly where you want it to obstruct the view of you peeling your spuds.

Have you considered raising the fence a bit (if you own it) or putting trellis on top?
    This is what I was going to say, that a good option would be to bring the screen closer to your window to achieve the same effect without being too big for its space.
  • My daughter has a myrtle growing in her garden. It is slow growing and hers has reached 20ft. 
    A trellis along the top of the fence with an evergreen climber would be one solution, especially something with scented flowers. Tracleospermum jasminiodes, sounds horrific but easily obtainable or clematis armandii, neither of which your neighbours could object to. Also easily trained.
  • My daughter has a myrtle growing in her garden. It is slow growing and hers has reached 20ft. 
    A trellis along the top of the fence with an evergreen climber would be one solution, especially something with scented flowers. Tracleospermum jasminiodes, sounds horrific but easily obtainable or clematis armandii, neither of which your neighbours could object to. Also easily trained.

I agree with myrtle not being very fast growing and have also seen some large trees of very old myrtle plants but was just going off the RHS page directions as to how tall they grow to. My oldest one is still within the height limits requested by the opening poster when they were looking for suggestions and as others have already stated its hard to combine fast growth with stopping growing at exactly the point you would like without some pruning. The site exposure and shade can influence height with mine possibly staying at about 2.5metres because it is in a fairly exposed location and the bigger myrtles I have seen have been in fairly sheltered settings.

Not sure why my post has been flagged as spam and if anyone could explain this to me it would be appreciated. I was just trying to make some suggestions for what daviddridley190 was looking for.

Happy gardening!
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,460
    If you do go for a tree or shrub, pdon't plant it right up against the fence. Plant it far enough inside your boundary that it won't overhang the neighbour's property when it's mature. If it does, they're entitled to lop it off at the boundary, which could spoil the shape as well as reducing the amount of screening, and if your neighbour's that annoying he'd probably do it.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Something pleached? Or an evergreen climber on a frame? 
  • Thanks for all the suggestions people!

Its gave me plenty to think about, and I'll look at getting something planted over the next few weeks.
    I'll be sure to post a follow up with what I've done