Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Frogs in the garden

My dad, in fear of grandchildren disappearing in the watery depths of his pond, spent a fortune on a custom made cover for it. He does love his pond. Well done on rescuing the frogs.

• well done for rescuing them any advice on attracting frogs and newts
  • where's your biography and picture. All of the other writers seem to have them
  • I have just built a pond and filled it with water. How do I attract newts? (I already have frogs and toads in the garden, living around the washing up bowl that we called a pond til now, and our compost heap.)
  • ME TO,I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW T GET THE GREAT-CRESTED NEWTS BACK INTO MY GARDEN,AS MANY YEARS AGO THEY WERE IN OUR AREA.
    I HAVE LOADS OF FROGS,TOADS AND PALMATE NEWTS,BUT WOULD REALLY LOVE TO KNOW IF AT ALL THEY WOULD EVER COME BACK.....
  • Your pond life sounds like a good world in which to take a dip.

Thank you for saving the little frogs. I used to rescue tadpoles from a puddle that would regularly dry up in the summer heat, and i still try to give the wee things a home wherever possible. Unfortunately, next door's cat likes their temporary accommodation too...

Keep up the good work, ms b, and keep up the lovely blogs too. They're as lovely a treat in my work day as finding a frog in my flower pot.

Thanks GW!

x Irish Potato
  • glad you have found frogs. we have had tadpoles in our pond but they and the frogs we usually see have all gone. Where one might ask. All my neigbours have said the same thing, no frogs big or small anywhere.
  • I HAVE FROGS IN MY GARDEN AND THEY HAVE BEEN THERE FOR 3-4 YEARS.ONE OF WHICH HAS TURNED PURPLE AS IT KEEPS EATING MY BEETROOT,I CHANGE THE WATER IN MY POND ONCE A YEAR AND THEY SIT ON THE STONES AND WAIT PATIANTLY UNTIL FINISHED.THEYRE PART OF THE GARDEN AND WOULD BE MISSED IF THEY DECIDED TO MOVE.
  • Thanks for all your comments. Happy, your purple beetroot-eating frog sounds great! For all those looking to attract great crested newts, this Froglife handbook is good: http://www.froglife.org/GCNCH/GCNCH.htm
  • My husband and I built a pond in spring and were amazed how quickly it became teaming with life. We have a 3 year old and a 6 year old who have learnt so much by observing the pond life, I feel sad that so many children miss out on the experience..
  • I live in an area that at one time teaming with frogs newts and toads, after the M25 was built their habitat was decimated still see a few here and there but they do hide away in the undergrowthto keep cool, my pond is made in a cut down barrel and all visitors welcome, do have to be careful of rats comming off the railway bank.