Forum home Plants

Maranta Prayer Plant leaves turning yellow and curling.

Hi, For a few years my maranta has been like my favourite child. It's been in the same spot in my apartment and seemed to be thriving. Then all of a sudden a few months ago, older leaves started turning yellow and dying. I've lost about 4-5 leaves in the past 2 months or so. Then, late last week, the leaves started curling. I can't figure out what's changed for this plant. Something worth noting, I brought in fungus gnats when I brought in my outdoor plants in September, but I haven't noticed many gnats on my maranta. Could that be the cause? I also thought that maybe it could be that I didn't let my water air out a bit before watering it last (to let the fluoride evaporate). Also, based on the photos, you'll see that it's getting quite leggy from the leaves that have died recently, can/should I maybe propogate the two main, bushy, leggy stems? Could that help save the rest of the plant?

• I’m not sure what’s causing it to go yellow. I’ve always used plain ol UK tap water and mines been fine.

What might be helpful is that they are very easy to propagate just cut under a bulge and stick in some water...might be worth doing just in case the worst happens to the main plant.
  • This is almost identical to what’s happening with mine! It has been thriving for well over a year and about a week ago leaves started yellowing (I’ve lost 4 and counting) and now I’ve got them curling too. I can’t pinpoint exactly what’s going on. So sad. 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,063
    edited January 2021
    Mines doing really well at the moment.  I hardly ever water it and then only with rain water.  It takes up much less water than most of my other plants.
    It's also in an unheated conservatory on the window ledge.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • @Yviestevie I've propogated the branch with the dying leaves and since then the leaves that were curling on the other branch have started to open up again. Also no sign of any more yellowing leaves (*knock on wood).

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,292
    Some fresh compost would help rejuvenate the main plant.
    If you've been using tap water, there may be a build up of limescale in the compost if your tap water is hard making the compost a bit too alkaline for the roots
    Some fresh compost would sort that out too.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.