Forum home Problem solving

Apple tree problem.

Help needed- we have this apple tree in our garden. It’s developed this rot since last September/October time. We’ve used winter wash on the tree as the apples last year had black spot on them but now this is getting worse. We looked for fungicides but couldn’t see any which were suitable for fruit trees. Can anyone suggest any remedies? Thanks in advance.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,983
    I hate to say this but there are no fungicides approved for Amateur gardeners to use on food crops. That tree does look very old, my guess is it was planted when your house was built (they used to do that a lot in the past).  This may be the beginning of the end for this one, a shame I know. 
    AB Still learning

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,896
    I agree with AB.  These sorts of fungi only appear on already dead wood, so the problem started a long time ago, probably when something caused that damage to the missing section of the lower bark you can see at the base of the trunk.  The tree could live for many more years but will eventually come down when the heartwood eventually rots through.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,514
    A venerable tree indeed ... and one that has much to offer to wildlife for several years yet ... 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh