Forum home Problem solving

Weiglia

chembluechemblue West Bromwich Posts: 35
Hi

Hope you are well and keeping safe 

Does my weiglia need pruning and when. 

Look forward to hearing from you 

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,642
    It is usual to prune straight after flowering (late spring), mine has a lot more branches on at the moment, all a lovely red colour, so I am not sure about yours. 
    Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,170
    Yours looks like it is really struggling. It has a lot of competition there with the rose and that big tree as well and it looks close to giving up.
    As DD says, it should have a lot more branches. Mine didn't get pruned last year as it carried on flowering right into November. Usually I would suggest cutting it back hard, as they normally come back well, but I wouldn't like to guarantee that for your plant.  Instead I would say to leave it, give it a good feed when it starts into growth and make sure it gets enough water. Then see if you can find a good shoot to take a cutting from, they are usually easy, and if it takes you can grow the cutting on. They grow fairly fast and in a year or so you can plant it out, (somewhere better!) and ditch the old plant if it hasn't improved.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 484
    I think your Weigela is struggling because its roots look like they are exposed. Is this correct? Weakened roots mean poor growth and wind rock, which weakens them further.

It's not the world's greatest specimen and a new shrub is roughly the cost of a decent bunch of flowers but will provide years of colour and interest if nurtured. You could try to save it, but I think I would cut my losses, particularly if you have to shell out for fertiliser. Sorry to sound brutal but sometimes it's better to be honest that suggest this is going to make a fine specimen.