Forum home Plants

Sweet pea question

Hi, I planted some sweet pea seeds in October and they've been growing in my cold frame.  I've not planted them in the Autumn before.

They seemed to be be growing quite fast so I pinched the tops and this is how they are now.  Not that I really knew what I was doing when pinching the tops! 

Are they looking ok? I have the cold frame open all day but wondered if they are looking leggy? 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,677
    They look good to me.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • I planted in October for the first time too, and mine look exactly like this!
  • Thank you, I'm happy now! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347
    Yes - they're fine  :)
    If you're in a warmer area, they may well grow a bit more and will need another pinch out, but in any case, you can bury them a little deeper when you plant them in their final positions  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you :)  I'm in the North East of England where we are having lots or rain, sleet and ice right now.  I'm sure I will be back with more questions when it's time to plant them on.  I've been unwell and off work for about the last 6 months and gardening is giving me something nice to focus on and look forward to. :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347
    It'll be a while before they'll be ready to move on - April at least, so don't be in a hurry  :)
    They'll be fine until then, and you can always sow more at the end of March or so, to give you a succession too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....