Forum home Fruit & veg

looking after seed potatoes

It appears that seed potatoes should be bought now but since they won't be planted until late Feb or March. How do I look after them in the meantime ?

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,828
    I've been reading up on this and it says to place them in egg boxes on a bright warm window ledge to develop shoots.  Unless someone on here knows better.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,513
    I start chitting my seed potatoes about 6 weeks before I plan to plant them, so mid Feb-ish ... until then i store them on egg trays in a cool dry frostfree dark place ... here our garage fits the bill. 
    I chit them as @Yviestevie does above. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,828
    Thanks @Dovefromabove I'll keep them dark for a while.  This will be the first year I've grown them so just gaining info from books and the forum.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • After some book research and reading responses here I will go ahead and buy my seed potatoes and keep them cold and dark for a couple of weeks and then set them out to chit four to six weeks prior to planting. Fingers crossed for an early Spring.
  • andyphillips1andyphillips1 WalesPosts: 2
    I put mine in unheated greenhouse and cover at night if frost expected the light levels are better. I don't think keeping indoors normally in houses with central heating on for winter and then putting them in cold ground does much good. I rather bring them on slow and steady it's a long time til planting yet

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,049
    I bought my seed potatoes from The Potato House near Dundee, choosing them for three reasons: a great choice, ability to buy in small quantities, and their willingness to store them until your chosen delivery week.

In the past I have put potatoes in egg boxes in the shed and had them nibbled by mice.
  • Hi :), mine have just arrived with bags to plant them in. 3 earlies, 3 second earlies and three main. I've got a rough idea, has anyone here grown them like this before?
  • I was actually looking for greenhouse heaters and have just ended dup buying seed potatoes from potato house   :)