Forum home Problem solving

Advice needed on cherry laurels in front garden

I have three cherry laurels in the front of my garden (approx 3ft tall) which I am hoping will eventually grow to be approx 5ft tall and will bush out to form a dense hedge.

However, the cherry laurels were planted in April last year and as of yet, do not seem to have grown at all? Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve my cherry laurels to make them grow into a nice dense hedge? They were planted with fish, blood and bone initially and the soil is often damp so I don't think they need any watering?

Appreciate any advice! Thank you.

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 484
    They look healthy enough but it would aid their growth if you removed the grass around their base and mulched them. Think of giving them border-like conditions rather than competing with grass. 

The other thing I would do is lightly prune (4-6") all vertical growth to encourage side branching. You want them to bush out at the base to create a uniform, dense screen. Keeping them at 5ft in the long term is going to be a challenge as they put on so much growth in the spring/summer. Prune with secateurs, not a hedge trimmer, as cut leaves look unattractive.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,513
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes, I saw your advice on that post, thank you dovefromabove! This is my first time using the forums and when I saw I had posted in The Potting Shed I thought it was the wrong category so quickly posted in this category instead!

Thank you for your advice though 👍
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,513
    Don't worry ... most people seem to access the forum via Recent Discussions ... that way we find the new queries wherever they are  ... and welcome to the Board 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh