Forum home Problem solving

Clematis being eaten

Beginner gardener question... I bought a clematis in the spring but it was largely decimated by something eating it.  I noticed that over the winter, it has began to grow a little bit and get some new shoots - I think it was getting a chance to grow while whatever is eating it is dormant.

I was looking at it yesterday and there were two little fly things on one of the new shoots.  It looked slightly green in colour. Could this be an aphid?  I'm clueless sorry!

It's been really cold this week with snow and ice so I'd thought my clematis would be safe from pests for a little bit longer?  I'm hoping it might get a chance to grow a bit before the pests start.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    Would need a photo to be accurate about an ID. Slugs are the biggest chompers of clematis, but new shoots can certainly have aphids, but it's a bit unlikely, although not impossible. If so - just wipe them off. 
    Clems are very resilient though, and are unlikely to have long lasting problems from any of those pests.  It's surprising how quickly insects can appear even after long spells of very cold weather, but a healthy plant will recover. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks Fairygirl, I'm glad to hear clematis are resilient - that whole row of plants was munched to bits in the spring and summer and I never found the culprit.  I have loads of birds who visit my front garden but they don't tend to come into the back garden to eat my slugs and snails!  

There were no visitors on the clematis today but should they return, I will try and get a photo.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    It's difficult to be more precise without a pic, and more info.
    Soft green growth is very attractive to slugs and snails though. The type of clematis you have, and it's age,  are also factors. 
    Sometimes, a newly planted border/bed can be a bit isolated too, especially if there aren't too many planted gardens around you. Once you have balance in a garden it's easier, as the birds prey on pests, and things become easier. If that's the case, it may just be a question of patience, some vigilance, and encouraging other predators.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....