Forum home The potting shed

Investigating the increase in home production horticulture and gardening due to Covid19.

• delskidelski Posts: 274
    The OP politely asked for constructive feedback and was slapped in the face.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,618
    Fair enough. I'll leave you to it.😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 809
    @s0096495TowEZT43 this is the right forum but perhaps not the right questions.

You probably need to ask if people grew more or less this year. Was this a direct result of Covid? Why did they embrace gardening? For example, I grew far more edibles as a direct result of Covid as I anticipated shortages in the shops well before lockdown happened.

Others may have wanted to grow produce but found limited supply of seeds, plugs and established plants as lockdown bit and demand soared.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Wow, people are feeling very delicate this week.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,427
    The results are showing what would be expected on a gardening forum, that the majority of us were already gardening before Covid. If @s0096495TowEZT43 wants to explore the subject further, he/she could add some more detailed question about things like whether we've changed how we garden, what we grow, how long we spend in the garden (working vs. just being there), what new challenges we've faced, etc. It really depends on what he/she is aiming to find out from the research.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,954

If the OP wants to find out the impact of Covid on the horticulture industry then asking just one question from a biased sample is a start, albeit an odd one. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single from Stockport.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,956
    What's most interesting is that the OP hasn't addressed any points raised re the nature of the very limited questions .
    If you don't take on board the replies, you can't improve the quality of the replies, or their value. Most of the students who post polls on the forum for their studies do that, and adapt them accordingly.  Taking offence instead, when someone questions the very narrow nature of the questions offered, surely isn't helpful for acquiring any useful data .  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,948
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single from Stockport.

Worth every penny.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,879
    I was already a gardener before lockdown.  However I have started growing veg/fruit since lockdown.  This is due to the fact that I have more time to dedicate to the care of them.  No holidays, less going out etc.  To see how gardeners have changed their approach to growing might be a good question to ask on sites such as this (mainly because we are already gardeners)  I DIY forum or family type forum might be a good place to ask if anyone has started gardening as a direct result of lockdown.  I think it's mainly a case of people having more time on their hands.
    Hope this helps you formulate better questions.  Good Luck.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  •   I would like to take the time to thank those who took the time to give feedback on the poll, it is appreciated. I do agree that a broader selection of options for the poll would be much more useful in collecting a wider range of information regarding the impact that coronavirus has had on home gardening and food production, however due to the way that this assignment is structured, I have to be extremely specific. Secondly I would like to address the observation that posting this on a forum already dedicated to the subject of horticulture seems counterintuitive, and again I agree in part and have pointed this out in my plan of operations before the research, and will again during my conclusion. The only counter to that argument being that a forum like this may be a starting point for someone who is looking to begin gardening and growing their own, and is looking for some friendly advice, tips etc., however it is now apparent that generally speaking this is not the case.
       Finally, this has not been my only research on the subject I have been using other sources such as marketing analysis, and having worked in nursery stock production/retail since before the first lockdown, I have seen to some extent how business has been effected during the lockdowns.
     Again, thank you for your (mostly) helpful feedback, stay safe.