Forum home Problem solving

Should I feed even though it's winter?

I grew this little plant from the Kernel in the middle if a plum stone about June time. It's grown like mad, I've pinched the top out twice and it has water every other day or it wilts. It has now started to go yellow.
 So should I feed it (sea weed feed) and repot already. I was originally going to do this in Spring. I'm in the Midlands and it's on a SE window sill.

• B3B3 Posts: 15,516
    Plum trees are deciduous. They drop their leaves in the winter and they're not really house plants. Have you got an unheated greenhouse or porch where you can put it until the spring?
    It would probably be too much of a shock to put it outside now.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AJBAJB Posts: 39
    Yes, I have an unheated greenhouse I can put it in. Should I stop watering it too do you think?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    I was just typing the same thing as @B3. Maybe it's trying to lose its leaves but is too warm indoors. They can get pretty big if not grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock, so keep an eye on it if you decide to plant it in the ground outside.

• B3B3 Posts: 15,516
    I wouldn't let it dry out completely. Without the leaves it won't need too much water anyway.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,896
    Water it until the leaves drop, then you only need to water very occasionally, just enough to keep the compost damp, but not wet.  That advice applies to most deciduous plants when overwintered in a cold greenhouse.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.