Forum home Plants

Help! Rubber plant drooping, Over- or underwatered?

Hello everyone, I am in desperate need of help to try and save my rubber plant. I have been googling and I can't work out if it is under or over watered? 
It all started when I had to go away on holiday and got one of those self watering bulbs, when I came back my plant was droopy - So I assumed it had been overwatered so quickly removed the bulb and have let it dry out. However, it is not showing signs of recovery and now I am worried I am not watering him enough? Any help is much appreciated.  

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    edited 12 January
    Did you check the compost when you came back from your trip? If so, was it dry, damp or wet? And how is it now? A good way to check is to poke your finger down into the compost to the first knuckle. If it's dry at that depth, give it a drink.
    Another possibility is cold air, or cold draughts. Did you turn off the heating when you went away? Is the window opened sometimes, when it's cold outside?
  • Yes it is rather cold sometimes, do you think that would do it? I tried to feel the compost but sometimes it is dry and sometimes it is wet, I just give it water when it needs it. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,896
    Is the plant in a pot with holes in the bottom, which is placed inside the white pot we can see?  I ask as it is virtually impossible to keep one healthy if it is planted in a single pot with no holes in the bottom.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,863
    Rubber plants come from the tropics.  They hate cold!

Only water when the compost feels dry.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    edited 12 January
    I think cold being the problem is less likely than under or overwatering, but I thought it was worth mentioning (particularly if there was a sudden change).
    Also worth mentioning, make sure there isn't water sitting in the outer pot when you've watered it. Tip out any water that collects in there. I'm assuming you have it in an inner pot with drainage holes - if not it's likely to be wet in the bottom even if it feels dry at the top.
    On the positive side, I don't see any yellowing or browning so hopefully it will recover well with the right conditions.
    In case you haven't already seen it, there's some general guidance on rubber plant care here https://www.houseplantsexpert.com/rubber-plant.html
  • Thanks everyone, I will check the inner pot, and have moved him to a slightly warmer place in the house. See how he gets on :)