Forum home Plants

Rhubarb - first year (2020)

PanaSenPanaSen Posts: 5
Last summer(2020) I planted a rhubarb crown in a sunny, south facing, raised bed.
Perhaps not the best time of year to do this but I needed to give it a try. It produced some leaves which subsequently died back.
Will this year's growth (2021) be suitable for harvesting? 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,840
    It would depend on how well its growing really, I be inclined to say no for this year due to being planted in Summer and not earlier . It will weaken the plant if harvested to early in its life. 2022 would be fine to harvest .

Ask the question again in April / May if its growing strongly then no harm taking one or two stems . 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,514
    I wouldn't harvest any this year.  Feed in early spring with Fish, Blood and bone, water it in, mulch and keep it watered.  Next year you could take a few stalks.  Onwards never take more than one third of the stalks and stop picking at the beginning of July.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,664
    edited 11 January
    Rhubarb is so easy to grow.
    But if not given enough water it bolts....it sends up stalks of flowers...see pic... a whole overgrown field of Rhubarb that was allowed to bolt.
    To prevent this from happening  We popped in 3  long drain pipes near the Rhubarb and every day in dry weather just pour 2 galls water down the tubes to get to the deep roots.
    In winter if you can get any well rotted manure/compost  I would put a thick blanket on the top to cover the area...6"/15cm deep. The rhubarb will grow up through this when the weather warms up.

When you do harvest the stems do not snap them,
    Hold the stalk low down and gently twist pull them up.see link.
    http://blog.gatheringtogetherfarm.com/tag/how-to-harvest-rhubarb/

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • PanaSenPanaSen Posts: 5
    Thanks for the advice and reassurance from you all.
    Proof of the pudding will be in the ...... tart. I'll have to be patient.