Forum home Problem solving

Help!

Does anyone know what is causing this to happen to my plants?? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,863
    Please tell us roughly where you are and how you are growing these plants so we can work out whether it's growing conditions or pests or both.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    The torn leaves look a lot like physical damage to me. Maybe the leaves have been brushed against by pets or people, or the pots knocked over? But there's some yellowing as well so I'm not certain.
    Yes @JennyJ it could be wind, pets, careless people brushing past and sun scorching, nutritional defects and over or under watering for the yellow foliage but until we know where they are and how they're being grown - site, aspect, compost, indoors, outdoors - we can't really make sensible deductions.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    Indeed so! It looks like a houseplant, but it also looks as if it's outside. Maybe it's somewhere with a warm climate.
  • We are in Hawaii & they are both in pots. I’m fairly new to these types of plants. I put them on my front porch to see if they would do better with a little more light but the tearing only got worse outdoors. 
  • I cut off the damaged leaves and moved them both inside with more indirect sunlight and away from any traffic. 
  • What type of nutrients should i
    use on these? I believe they are philodendrons. 
    No idea what kind of potting compost you can get in Hawaii but they need a free draining soil so make sure the one you have is loam based with a bit of extra grit added and not a claggy fibrous mix.   They like good light but shade from strong sun and they need to be protected from drying winds.

They are naturally climbers so you need a support system to hold them or else place them on a stand or shelf of some sort so they can trail safely.

Have a look here - 
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/59193/Philodendron-scandens/Details 
  • I brought them inside and have been away from anything that could be damaging but this still developed on one of the leaves..??