Forum home Plants

Paperwhite Narcissus: sweet or foul smell?

Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,784
Just back from my garden where I had a sniff at my Narcissus Tazetta ‘Paperwhite Ziva’. Can't decide what they actually smell like. How would you describe the smell of this peculiar bulb?

Paperwhite Narcissus: sweet or foul smell? 16 votes

lovely fragrance
43%
ObelixxBusy-LizzieD0rdogne_DamselWonkyWomblecelcius_kkwedev08JessicaS 7 votes
foul smell
37%
LynCebePapi JoBig Blue Skynewbie77justflowers 6 votes
neither sweet nor foul
18%
JennyJamancalledgeorgetuikowhai34 3 votes
they don't smell
0%
You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    neither sweet nor foul
    I find them scented, not particularly sweet but not unpleasant. OH thinks they smell like electrical burning though, so I don't have them indoors.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,780
    foul smell
    I bought them for my mum, my daughter and myself, we all agreed they smell like dog poo and put them outside, couldn’t stand them in the house. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 15,516
    edited 10 January
    When a plant is described as 'scented' ,the assumption will always be that the scent is pleasant.
    Let that be a lesson in life to us all. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,878
    edited 10 January
    They are strong - nearly something pleasant about them, but in the main they smell of cat urine. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • JemulaJemula Posts: 109
    To me they smell a bit like calamine lotion.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,134
    lovely fragrance
    I like the scent.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 518
    lovely fragrance
    When I first smelled it I thought  it was foul.. but then as time went on I’ve grown to really love the scent. Towards the end I actually thought they smell of sweet vanilla and couldn’t get enough of it. 😊
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 484
    I don't mind them but my mother hates them so I no longer grow them. Instead, I like 'Yellow Cheerfulness'.and 'Bridal Wreath' which, IMO, smell nicer. I have them in pots outside by the front door.
  • Given a pot - hate smell - so put them in greenhouse where I have mice problems maybe a coincidence but when they bloomed the mice disappeared. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,514
    They seem to smell quite different nowadays to the old fashioned Paperwhites I used to grow. I prefer the old ones 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh