Forum home Problem solving

Bamboo help

I’ve just moved house and have a large patch of very tall bamboo that I’d like to remove. Can anyone suggest the best / quickest way to remove? I’d like to put some raised beds where it is currently 

thanks ! 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,631
    Unless you want to save any of it, chop down, scrape off the top soil to enable you to see how far it has spread, follow each stem and root and dig out :)   
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,595
    Cut it all down to about 3 feet high.  That will make it more manageable but still leave enough to get a good grip on.  Bamboo doesn't root very deep, so dig all round using a pickaxe and, if necessary, chop through as well to break into smaller pieces.  You should then be able to dig under each section to lift and remove.  It is hard work but doable.  I've removed a clump which was approximately 12' x 3'.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,502
    Sorry but no easy way unless you have a mini digger.
    The way I've done it in the past is to cut it down to around 18ins, dig around it as much as you can although the fence will stop you then get a pick axe or mattock and chop bits out using the stems to wiggle the roots back and forth. Great exercise and really gets you warm on a cold day!
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,502
    Seems we are in tune @KT53!
  • KlinkKlink Posts: 244
    I had an invasion of bamboo in the corner of my garden.Nothing killed it so i bought a wrecking bar,four feet long and got OH to get the roots out.It seems to have worked so far.Fingers crossed.
    K67 said:
    Seems we are in tune @KT53!

Voices of experience I suspect. :)
  • delskidelski Posts: 54
    I would love that bamboo in my garden! Way taller than what I bought over a year ago.
    I use image hosting sites to post pictures so that I retain the copyright of the images.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,200
    You wouldn't, @delski, not after it took over your garden in five minutes flat. Once they get going they're a menace.
  • We love bamboos and also hate the way that the ones which are supposed to be "contained" aren't. Over the years we have put down various membranes/metal collars and then find they are sending up new shoots meters and meters away.
    You have to follow the advice given above BUT you will still need to be vigilant and keep an eye out for those that have got away....because they will.
    Still lovely plants and when you cut back the lower side branches on each one you do really appreciate the wonderful differences that the bamboo family is....only wish they would stay where you want them.
    Not all bamboos are monsters.  I have a fargesia nitida (Chinese Fountain bamboo) which has formed a substantial clump over the years but has never thrown out any runners.