Forum home Problem solving

Pieris Red Spots

What's wrong with this Pieris and what can be done with it? Some sort of leaf spot or rust? Thank you!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,176
    edited 9 January
    I think it's some kind of stress, possibly an infection ?
    Are they in ericaceous compost/acid soil ? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    I'd agree. It's most likely to be a cultivation problem. Lack of nutrients probably. They need neutral to acidic soil to do well.
    Although - all evergreens drop leaves, so it isn't necessarily a major problem. Have you got a pic with a wider view? That would help, as well as any other info about how and where it's growing  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Just found a pic from August. Seems no spots then. It's in a small raised border. I suspect it's been planted in to whatever soil was originally there and left to its own devices. Perhaps I'll suggest some ericaceous feed and take it from there. There is a small camelia there too which may appreciate the same. Thanks @Fairygirl @AnniD D
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    I wonder if it's just too dry and sunny there. If lavender is doing well - it suggests that.
    Both Pieris and Camellias prefer a reasonable amount of shade, and cooler, damper conditions. Raised beds drain more quickly too, so it may be something that simple.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....