Forum home Garden design

Privacy screening

I have a small overlooked garden and would like some ideas and advice about privacy screening. I have considered trellis to extend the height of the wall, but the curve makes this difficult). I am wondering if I can plan tall plants close to the wall to provide screening? The soil is very sandy and so drains well, however I worry about the effect of roots on the wall and nearby drains. Any suggestions? Many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    There isn't much room to plant anything from what I can see. It doesn't look like you have a very big space there.
    If you put a couple of trellis panels in vertically, that solves the curve. You can even make a simple construction with roofing battens, which is generally much cheaper to do.
    It's better to attach them properly to the wall over it's full height, with a couple of feet extending beyond it, rather than try to add them on top. You can then use a couple of suitable climbers, but they'd need to be happy with your soil and conditions. Many clematis would be fine, and there are things like Jasmine and solanum, depending on your local climate and location.
    Alternatively, and this is usually the best solution, you can have a simple pergola construction or screen at the left side of your deck.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    You could fix posts at intervals and attach a sheet of builders' metal mesh for reinforcing concrete.  It usually comes in lengths of 5m x 2m or thereabouts and is bendable and indestructible and is pretty discreet to look at, especially when covered with climbers such as a strong, repeat flowering rambling rose which are easier to train and attach than climber which have stiffer stem.

A pergola is another option and would be decorative in itself but more expensive and needs to be designed carefully.  You don't want anything that's going to shade those cordylines as I believe they like full sunlight but can tolerate some light shade.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Following on from the structure from @Fairygirl the clematis armandii is everygreen and flowers in the winter so you would have privacy and a lovely fragrance. Clematis cirrohosa is also everygreen and ours has been in flwoer since spring last year and still in flower now