Forum home Plants

Brugmansia

My Brugmansia is now about six foot tall and too heavy to move out of the living room.  It still has most of its leaves.  The floral display was spectacular in 2020 and I don't want to do anything that will upset it, but I really need to reduce the height.  Advice please.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,852
    I would take cuttings and start some new plants. 

However @fidgetbones grows more brugmansia than I do... I’ll give her a nudge. 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,572
    If you cut off the three new shoots, take the cuttings about a foot long and take off all leaves except the top two. Pop them in a large jar of water so the bottom four inches is submerged. They will usually grow roots by Spring.  I then pot into 3 inch pots, then six inch as the roots fill the pots.  The old plant I would cut down to about two foot, just where it kinks to the left, level with the green line on the curtain. If you keep it just damp until it starts to grow new shoots, then recommence plenty og water, heat, light and food. It will soon grow large again and flower well all summer. You can keep it outside from when the frosts finish to about October when they start again.
  • Thank you very much for the helpful reply - there are already new shoots all over the main stem so I am hopeful of a good outcome.
    Co-incidentally, in the photo in front of the Brugmansia is a little Judas Tree, grown from seed.  I brought it indoors as our winter is very cold this year in Glasgow, and it has sprouted shoots down its entire length, and is looking happier now than it has ever done.  Should I treat it as an indoor plant?  Any other advice?