Forum home The potting shed

Polycarbonate v glass glazing

srdsrd North east England Posts: 22
Hoping to have wooden greenhouse/Victorian style. Want to grown in it and want it to be visually pleasing as I will look at it straight on from kitchen. Glass or polycarbonate or a mixture?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,121
    I would use glass.  No chance of if discolouring over time, and it doesn't have a tendency to blow out in strong winds.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,117
    Glass is by far better, easier to keep clean, doesn't scratch, less noisy in rain, longer lasting, more resistant to wind and it doesn't flex like polycarbinate. I have a greenhouse on order and went for toughened glass, think it gives the best long term value.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,875
    If there is a high risk of breakage then go for polycarbonate otherwise toughened glass. Accidents involving children playing or likelyhood of  deliberate vandalism would be high risk factors.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,756
    The light transmission is much better with glass too.  So I agree with what others said. 
    AB Still learning

• Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,991
    Glass any day. I had a polycarbonate one once,and after a storm and a lot of hunting around,a roof panel was found in a field a mile away.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 199
    Interesting question.  IMO much depends upon YOUR personal usage.  I have gardened using both.  I would venture to say.  Try it and test if for yourself.  Probably much depends on, what you are growing.  Is it your desire to go through the basics.  Sow some seeds, prick out, pot on etc and plant some specimens outside and keep others inside.
    Modern science has aided us so much.  Polycarbonate usually comes as twin walled and tripple walled.  Somehow the manufactoring has provided us with a choice.  This side uppermost will allow maximum sunlight.  Turn it over and you still get max sunlight but somehow, the UV has been tinkered with.  So back to you and your back garden and greenhouse.  Polycarbonate is so much cheaper than glass.  That is.  Horticultural glass.  For the time your seeds, plants are in the greenhouse and taking into account external damage.  I plump for polycarbonate.