Forum home Plants

Plant ID for pink spiky flower

Hi all, can anyone help me to identify the flower/plant below? I think they're really stunning, striking flowers, but unfortunately I planted runner beans way too close and the plant got shaded out and died. I want to order another one (which I plan to put in a pot against a much sunnier wall), but don't know what to search for as I lost the label.

Also, does anyone know if this type of plant would survive a UK winter, or if I would need to bring it inside? I only have space for a tiny plastic greenhouse, and not much room indoors, so might need to plan if it needs bringing inside over winter. Thanks.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,306
    I think it could be Celosia, which is usually grown as an annual - it's actually a tender perennial, so it would need over-wintering somewhere frost free.  Probably best to wait until the spring and buy another?
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • @Liriodendron, thanks for your answer, that definitely looks like it. Seeing as it's tender, I will do as you suggest and wait until Spring to get one. Thank you for your help.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,306
    You're welcome!  Hopefully if anyone disagrees they'll jump in and say...   :)
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.