Forum home Plants

Seed mixture -anything to worry about?

B3B3 Posts: 27,346
I was thinking of buying this Hedgerow mix from chilterns for the shady end of the garden. Is there anything in the selection that I'd rather be without?

HEDGEROW, Wild Flower Mixture

Attractive to pollinatorsBest Seller
This is a mixture of wild flowers that are tolerant of semi-shade for sowing along hedgerows, woodland edges and other similar communities.
This is a flower only mix, try our Hedgerow Grass Mixture (4030M) if you would like to add grasses.

Includes: Garlic Mustard, Common Knapweed, Hedge Bedstraw, Wood Avens, Oxeye Daisy, Cowslip, Selfheal, Red Campion, Upright Hedge-parsley, Narrow-leaved Everlasting Pea, Lesser Burdock, Rough Chervil, Bladder Campion, Soapwort and White Campion. (Contents may vary slightly). 3ft (1m
In London. Keen but lazy.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,591
    I find wood avens to be a complete pain.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,346
    edited January 2021
    Thanks @fidgetbones. I'll check them out.
    Aaargh!!! They're geum urbanum. You have my eternal gratitude😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,957
    NDN's soapwort keeps coming under our fence and is a bit of a PITA to keep under control ... very pretty tho'.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks @Dovefromabove. I've deleted the mix from my shopping basket. Might just stick to the devils I know.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,591
    I have developed a method of removal for Avens. The roots are quite shallow, but if you try and pull, the leaves come off, leaving the central core, which then regrows. Someone bought me an Asparagus cutting knife with a curved blade. It is ideal for slicing through the roots a couple of inches down and enabling easy removal. Sadly my ambitions for a productive asparagus bed has not happened.
    I use a narrow wallpaper/ paint scraper to the same effect. I didn't realise wood avens was one of their aliases. Why on earth would a seed company think it's ok to sell them?