Forum home The potting shed

New Years Resolutions

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,491
Hi all just wondered what resolutions people are making to improve themselves this year? Any lifestyle changes planned? 
I am trying to reduce my use of plastic, I had a soda stream for Christmas as I drink a lot of bottled fizzy water and I am looking into a rice cooker as I use lots of sachets of microwave rice. Small changes but in the present climate I hope it’s a case of every little helps! 
What are you doing to make the world a better place?? 

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 694
    Hi @debs64,

Have a look at steamers for your rice .... it cooks beautifully every time.
    Also great for lots of other veg and you retain more of the nutrients than other cooking methods.
    We use our steamer most days ... but then we follow a plant-based diet so eat lots of rice and veggies.

This year we want to replace our oil boiler with either a ground or air source heat pump. Might have to wait until we are happy to have workmen in the house, but hopefully we can make it happen this year.

I've already got plans for a little courtyard garden where the oil tank currently is ...  thumbsup

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,663
    Last year I resolved to make no resolutions. It worked so well, I'm doing it again this year😇
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,656
    I thought I’d treat myself to some apophasis as well, B3.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    edited 3 January
    I’m going to keep breathing for as long as I can.

(Though, on second thoughts, that might not make the world a better place.)
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    Well, I wouldn't want you to stop breathing @pansyface.

No resolutions here either cos the only one I've ever kept was one made 30 years ago - to make no more.   Avoids feelings of guilt and inadequacy.

We've used a soda stream for years now.  Just don't ever put the bottles in the dishwasher @debs64 and don't believe what they say about replacing them every 2 years.  Ours have been going for over a decade and are still good.

I've bought reusable stretchy lids for dishes to reduce cling film and use tupperware style pots with lids too.   Have never microwaved rice.  Absorption method in a pan does for basmati and jasmine.  Riso venere, pudding, paella and risotto rice get different cooking methods. 

We're now more likely to add a jumper, socks or scarf than put the heating on in the daytime, even in winter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,493
    Not NY resolutions as such but we've been trying to use much less plastic (particularly single use) recently. I'm also recycling more, especially going into the compost bin, which has started to work more efficiently in the last couple of months. Eldest daughter is quite environmentally aware but we could all probably do more (or less in terms of using the 'wrong' resources ;) ).

There are quite a few biggish jobs that need doing around the house but they're more finance reliant than resolve :o 

• WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 179
    Two resolutions:

1) Tidy up the mess that is my shed (whilst trying not to disturb the resident mouse's winter nest in the corner), because there are pots strewn everywhere and I can barely get through the door anymore. I have, however, been telling myself to do this for the last four months already, so we shall see if I actually manage to achieve this feat!

2) Plant more wildflower seeds in the little bed along the side of the shed to help provide nectar for the bees and seeds for the birds.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    edited 3 January
    Here you go, Philippa, a Sheffield delicacy:

Or if you want something a bit different

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 191
    Drink more beer.
    I love seeing plants that i have no memory of planting. :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,731
    little packets of rice, oooh no!! Get a big bag much cheaper to.  Not making any here, resolutions that is!!