Forum home Plants

Which Sarcococca??

gemmab769gemmab769 Posts: 7
Morning
Is anyone able to tell me which Sarcococca this is please?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,877
    edited 3 January
    With the narrow leaves, I think it's a cultivar of Sarcococca hookeriana.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,248
    It looks very much like ours which is S. h. digyna. which has reddish coloured stems.
    This site is quite good they hold the National collection. Warning you may get lost for hours here :D

https://www.sarcococca.org.uk/about/

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,650
    edited 3 January
    I love Sarcoccoca and used to grow many sp.
    The scent is amazing.
    It is recommended they they be planted near the door into a house so scent can be appreciated.

However id is not easy.
    It often involves looking at the flower in detail. ( cannot see detail in pic)
    Some have 3 stigma/others just 2. Sarcoccoca H.confuse has both 2 and 3 stigma.
    The berries also provide more clues as they can be red or black.
    Then leaf shape, leaf colour, stem colour, calyx colour come into the calculation.
    Some are suckering...others are more behaved.

Pic below shows the very tiny female flowers with  2 x stigmas and the larger male flowers with stamen.

I have this labelled as Sarcococca hookeriana.

2. Red berries  below from Sarcococca ruscifolia......showing remains of 3 stigmas.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 391
    edited 4 January
    Agree with @Silver surfer . Fabulous plant and so fragrant in the winter months when you need something to uplift your spirits.
    I don't know which ones we have but some have red berries and others have black.
    Both still great.
  • Thanks all, I think it's probably hookeriana digyna, it's got reddish stems. I'll have a look at the petals when the flowers open (they seem to be taking their time) and I'll have to pay attention to what colour berries appear - don't remember seeing any last year.
    It's right by my front door - looking forward to the scent I keep reading about!