Forum home Garden design

Pathway advice

Hi I am redesigning my veg patch and previously I have used bark on my paths but they have now decomposed and have been used as a handy mulch for my borders :) I want to have something more permanent but cost effective . I have weed suppressant fabric down already but was thinking of compressed stone as an option perhaps but unsure whether it will bind with the fabric. Grids are cost prohibitive I’m afraid 😟 I have a lot of pathway to cover. Any advice very welcome. It’s my winter project :) 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    I'd agree - gravel is cheap and easy to put down yourself. Use a builder's merchant rather than DIY places if you can, but it may be difficult for now as I doubt they'll be open in many areas. 
    The main drawback is when soil drops on them, but it's a minor problem. If the gravel's at a reasonable depth it helps block light which is a bonus  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you fairygirl and Songbird . I do have some edging in place ( or will
    have) . Is it just a matter of laying it ? Do I need to compact it at all? Also what size gravel would you recommend. 
    No problem - just lay it  :)
    I'd go for something not too big, as it makes pushing wheelbarrows a bit hard. My gravel is all around 20mm. Smaller gravel beds in well too.  :)

• fab thank you , I hope it’s a lovely frosty day in Scotland  :)
    Very frosty - and has been for a week, but nothing we aren't used to here  ;)