Forum home The potting shed

Tech ID

B3B3 Posts: 17,663
Found this and have no idea what it's for connecting  to what. Have a phone and a tablet. It must've  come with one of them I suppose🤔

In London. Keen but lazy.

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,108
    Could be a 'line-out/line-in' cable? If so, they're used to connect, say, a phone to an amp or to anything that may have better speakers and that has a line-in socket. May also be used in a car if the car stereo is old and has a line-in rather than bluetooth.
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,663
    Thanks @steveTu.😊
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,052
    Hi @B3 I have tons of those in a shoebox labelled "cables". Not very useful nowadays. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 432
    My lovely teenager says, like @steveTu, that it's an aux cable,  used to connect a device to a speaker 🙂
    I haven't got a speaker so I'll put it in a shoebox marked 'cables' 😉
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,108
    We have an old (very old) car with a stereo/cd player, so I bought an FM transmitter that could play music from a phone, card or usb (and then transmit the music on a 'free' FM channel that the radio is tuned to) and those cables are used for that.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
    We have an old car with a CD stuck in the player.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,762
    Technically, it's a stereo (or 3-pole) 3.5mm jack male to male audio cable.  As other have said, virtually useless these days (until you suddenly need one, of course. ;) )

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    We learned years ago to label all new cables with the name of their object of origin.

Also, label the plugs so that when they are plugged into an extension lead with multiple sockets you can easily see which is which.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    I wish I'd done that @pansyface. I have more chargers than the court of king Arthur😕