Forum home The potting shed

NewYear

B3B3 Posts: 21,537
Gut reaction?

NewYear 31 votes

Hope
51%
Lizzie27lilysillyBusy-LizziepansyfaceSinging GardenerJohn36debs64Big Blue SkyedhelkaamancalledgeorgekoyukanoPurpleRoseLisaDWErgatesmalloryninaWillowBark 16 votes
Fear
3%
Jaidensfield 1 vote
Equanimity
3%
Fire 1 vote
It's only a date in the calendar
41%
LynDovefromabovefidgetbonesForester_PeteNanny BeachKiliraisingirlSkandiSuesynJennyJBigladTinyfeetbiggobDesi_in_London 13 votes
In London. Keen but lazy.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    All those answers.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    Hope
    I always start a new year with hope. Without hope what have you got?

I hope this year is going to be better than last. I dont think it will take much for 2021 to be an improvement.

I was so glad to see the back of 2020. I so welcomed 2021. I just hope that 2021 does not follow the same path as last year.

Wishing you all the best for a Happy New Year 😁

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,987
    Just another date on the calendar, but also hope - for lots of things to come:  spring and longer days for a start.  January is a time to start preparing the garden for summer.  I have just put the 2020 calendars into the recycling bin.  Funny feeling!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,810
    I usually keep the previous years calendar @tuikowhai34 so that I can refer back to a date that something happened, but I'm not so sure I want to do that this year, I think it may well go in the bin!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,506
    For me NYD is no more significant than any other date in the calendar .. but I try to start and end each day of my life with hope ... what would be the point otherwise?  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,576
    I generally see the turn of the year as being the winter solstice, when the light starts - ever so slowly - to return again. This year we are in the middle rather than the beginning. The world outside looks absolutely frozen to a standstill today, - it's all monochrome out there - but the birds are about - there was a woodpecker at my bird feeder (I use the term very loosely) this morning - a flash of scarlet to make me stop and stare  :)
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,537
    It's the monochrome that's so depressing. Can't wait for the spring bulbs
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,987
    @floralies  I keep a diary where I enter my appointments, weather and garden activities - sowing, planting (and where)!!  That I keep to look up weather and gardening
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 962
    I have seen many New Years Days, and believe I will see a few more yet, lets look on the bright side, to gardens in flower to veg plots supplying our food, and just the joy of the New Year, for everyone.