Forum home Tools and techniques

Seed growing

I have just invested in a heated propagator. Once the seeds have germinated is it safe to transfer the seedlings to an unheated potting shed. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,960
    Yes, as long as you wait till March or April, depending on where you are and does the shed have a glass roof so the seedlings get enough light?  They need light, warmth and moisture et the right levels to grow into sturdy wee plants.

Best to be patient and wait a wee while.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,949
    It depends what the seedlings are, too. Tender annuals and perennials need warmth and will not cope in your shed. Some will be ok down to 4 degrees but many will require higher temperatures. As Obelixx says, they need good light.
  • I do have plenty of light in the potting shed but no heating at the moment. looking at putting heating in this year or maybe get some heat pads.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,960
    Heat pads will help with germination but won't protect seedling stems and foliage once germinated.  It really is better to wait until March or April when growing conditions are better.  Seeds sown then will soon catch up with ones sown earlier and won't require all the cossetting.

No point sowing anything if you haven't the facilities to grow them on well and that means space, warmth and light.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,355
    I'm afraid it's a common query. As @Obelixx says - the problem isn't getting seed to germinate, it's what then happens that becomes 'a problem'. 
    It's far better to wait a while, so that moving seedlings/plants on is relatively simple. Without enough space, warmth and light to shift them all [if they all germinate]  it's virtually impossible. Even in areas which are much warmer, when plants can go outdoors or into cold frames/greenhouses etc, it takes a bit of forward planning. 
    Doing a tiny amount in a month or 6 weeks is probably fine, but bear in mind that a single tray of seedlings, potted on, take up a lot of room  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Think I will do an experiment on seed planting now and slightly later in the year. It's just too exciting to wait though, so look forward to seeing the seedlings coming through and new life appearing.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,335
    As others have said, now is far too early, you will be wasting time and money.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root