Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Two day frost

After laying hessian sheets on plants last night some have been ripped up by my local fox so the ground is solid in parts and some leaves on plants  frosted. Temperature is now 1c  and forcasts to stay the same or less until tomorrow.

So should I lay new sheets over the frosted plants and ground  or will that damage them more than leaving them uncovered for another night ? 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    If it's planting that requires frost protection, you'll need to give them some. Fleece, or even a pot if it's a small plant. A basket with other material can work if you don't have purpose made cloches, or even canes with something attached.

I don't grow much that can't cope with frosts for a week at a time, so anything that requires it would come into a greenhouse in October, or into the house. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Most were planted at least a month ago and were classified as frost hardy as well as some more established plants. Just trying to be ultra careful as I am trying out more grasses and new plants.

Just dont know whether  I should cover already frosted ground or just leave it until it defrosts  More tender plants and new ones are under cover with no effect from frost.
    If they're frost hardy plants, then they should be ok. It's difficult to be more precise than that without knowing exactly what they are, or seeing photos. :)
    Small plants will always be more vulnerable too, unless they're fully hardy.

• These were planted about two months ago
    • 3 Eupobia Purpurea
      3 Polyconatum Multiflorum
      4 Zwartkop  (Kept indoors)
      3 Oriental poppy
      1 Hosta Francis Williams
      2 Hosta Fortune
      3 Astrantia Major Shaggy
      3 Euphorbia Amygdaloides Robbiae
      3 Astrantia Major Bucklands
      3 Astrantia Gill Richardson
      2 Achillea Terracotta
      3 Imp. Cylindrica Rubra
      2 Ophiopogon Planiscapus Kokuryu Delivery 20 Nov
      2 Euphorbia Epithymoides Delivery 20 Nov
      2 Clematis Tangutica My Angel

Astrantia, Euphorbia, Hostas, Achillea, Ophiopogon, Poppies, Imperata and the Clematis are all perfectly hardy and need no protection from frost.  :)
    I assume the Zwartkop is an Aeonium, which isn't frost hardy, so yes - it should be protected over winter in most areas. 
    Did you mean Polygonatum? They're hardy too.  :)

If they were all tiny plants when planted, you may lose some, but they're more likely to suffer if the ground's excessively wet, rather than a few frosts. Planting in November is usually no problem for bigger, healthy plants though  :)

• Most were in 1 - 2 litre pots so should be Ok  Thanks for your help
    They should be fine  :)