Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID please evergreen tree red berries

a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108
Hi I’m thinking this may be cotoneaster of some kind? I’d like to find out exactly what it is as I’d like to get one, lovely shape to it and making blackbirds very happy. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    funnily enough I saw a group of several almost identical specimens yesterday whilst walking. The berries really shine out this time of year.
    It's a cotoneaster of some sort I think.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Could be Cotoneaster cornubia, I think...
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • Could be Cotoneaster cornubia, I think...
    Agree.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108
    Thanks. It’s described as a shrub though, do I need to buy it as a standard do you think? Or do they all make tree size eventually? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    edited December 2020
    You can buy a more mature specimen which will be more of a tree form. They should specify. Alternatively, getting a smaller size plant means you will need to prune out wayward side shoots to get it to grow upwards with one main trunk. 

• BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Agree, the leaves really give it away. It's a lovely shrub and great for birds. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    You could try cotoneaster franchetii which will get up to 4m tall if happy but can be kept smaller of you prefer.   https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/4598/Cotoneaster-franchetii/Details 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108
    thanks for help, I’d prefer taller so I’ll look out for a cornubia.