Forum home Garden design

New greenhouse

Morning all,just joined the wonderful forum. Hope everyone is well-despite the nightmare around us-and had a nice Christmas.
Will be moving to a new home near Belfast soon and decided I'd like a greenhouse-had a polytunnel before-either wood or aluminium frame on a dwarf wall with cold frames around it;any suggestions on dos/donts and good sites you can recommend? Very grateful. Enjoy your day and thanks for your time,Isabella

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    First, welcome and second congratulations - getting a greenhouse is fantastic! I think you should aim for the largest model you can afford because it will never be big enough. The wood/aluminium question is difficult: wood looks so much better but it is really hard work to maintain while aluminium is easy and relatively cheap. Mine is coated aluminium, white, though other colours are available and it has worn very well indeed.
    I had no choice of siting, so I can't say much beyond that you need good light and you will have to shade and ventilate it if it is in sunlight. It may depend on what you want to grow.
    It's really valuable to have electricity laid on for light and heat and a close water supply so you don't have to carry water far.
    Good luck in your new home and greenhouse!
  • KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    I agree with Posy. Go for the biggest Greenhouse you can afford because as soon as you start using it you'll wish it was bigger.

Have fun and enjoy your greenhouse.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Thank you both! I am looking forward to it - I definitely think big! All other spaces I was lucky enough to have run out of space really fast :)
    Happy New Year
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    @isabellacecilj_4xI9fc not sure what lead times are like now with the bigger companies but I'm awaiting delivery of a elite GH I ordered in July. They had such massive demand they were way behind on delivery schedules, I did know this when I ordered. My cousin got 1 from Rhino which was a cancelled order otherwise they were still quoting very long lead times.

Best luck and post some pics when you get sorted
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
    How much money do most people spend for a greenhouse?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    There is no answer to this question, @jamesholt. You can pick them up for nothing from people who don't want the one in their garden or pay thousands for a beautiful model made to your taste and specifications.