Forum home Tools and techniques

Should I divide up my composter?

• I’ve just been working on insulating my compost heap. I went for 8 layers of thin carpet and a waterproof layer on top. Does that sound like the right sort of thing to do?
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Probably. I never work that hard, don't insulate and only cover with a bit of carpet. Still get great compost. I think you can make too much effort sometimes when nature will do it for you.
  • Fair enough. I’ll bear that in mind. I was bored anyway, so cutting up carpet gave me something to do 👍🏻
  • I’m putting in quite a lot of green waste at the moment and I think I’m lacking the brown carbon part. I plan to put in corrugated cardboard but how small should I rip it? 
    Thanks!
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    Anything ripped up will compost faster. If you put in larger squashed up bits, that will also allow for air and structure in your compost, which is no bad thing. I add nearly all my household paper into my compost - kitchen paper, packing materials, scrap A4 sheets, cotton wool. It does add up to quite a bit in the end. I also add wool and cotton clothing cut up. That takes quite a while to break down, but it's a good ending for beloved clothes.
  • Excellent Fire, thanks! 
  • I tend to store the cardboard outside by the compost bin so that it gets wet before I tear it up to put it in
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast Posts: 1,415
    I leave cardboard outside over night to make it damp, then I mow it up though tearing it by hand works. The smaller you make things going into the compost the faster it turns into compost
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
      tearing up cardboard is tearing up cardboard - best done in a private corner if your neighbours are likely to see and assume you have lost the plot :D

Ah, philippasmith2 , I think that, for most of us, that ship sailed a long, long time ago. I hunt slugs at 3am with a torch in my dressing gown, I talk to my plants and swear at the roses, I'm lying on my belly taking pictures of spiders. My neighbours  think that ordinary composting is freaky, left field, extremist activism. I was the mad one who moved into the area nine years ago. The only difference is that now I lead local groups in this nuttiness.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Oh dear, it has sailed for me too....