Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

CLIMBERS/ ENQUIRY PLEASE

Hello i would like some advice in what is the best climber for this area ...it is a east wall area backing onto a wall.
would pathenociss henryana or what would you suggest?

would DAIVD AUSTIN roses be planted on south facing wall or can they be planted on EAST WALL?

I would like some HELP for what is the best evergreen plants to grow on along a north west  / north east
would these plants be suitable for this area as follows;
photina red robin
prunus laurocerasuus cherry laurel
taxus baccta yew 
Griselins littoralis 
to make into a hedge what would be the best ......would any of the above do the job ?

many thanks 
JON
[ ACME GARDEN SERVICES ]

• K67K67 Posts: 2,506
    Welcome to the forum 
    If you are offering/advertising garden services this is not allowed on this site.
    If you really want advice for your garden a photo is always helpful along with soil conditions and how much sun as even South facing walls can be shaded by other houses or trees.
  • i am not advertising ...i just wanted a little bit of help but if cant help dont worry
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    edited December 2020
    More details of the site are needed ... dimensions of the border and details of the soil type, and approximately whereabouts in the country the garden is.

Also what sort of support (if any) can be installed for the plants, and the amount of maintenance available?

Do you have an ongoing contract to maintain the garden or will the client be doing the necessary regular training/pruning/tying in etc, plus feeding and watering, which for most climbers will be several times a week during summer months ?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• 1/
    PLACE IS LACANSTER 

Hello i would like some advice in what is the best climber for this area ...it is a east wall area backing onto a wall.
    would pathenociss henryana or what would you suggest?

2/
    i would like t put a hedge along a fence for decorative / and make bit more privacy.
    the area is NORTH WEST direction.
    these are suggestions i have thought of ....which one would be best?   
    photina red robin
    prunus laurocerasuus cherry laurel
    taxus baccta yew 
    Griselins littoralis 
    to make into a hedge what would be the best ......would any of the above do the job ?

• For the hedge on the fence, I would hesitate about the Griselina, as it can be tender. The Photinia is lovely, but it is also red, which is a strong colour to have to look at all the time. Out of what you suggest, I think the cherry laurel would probably be the most pleasing over time. You could go for holly too.

An east-facing wall could take a lot of things. Are you looking for a self-clinging climber? Parthenocissus henryana eventually gets to be a nuisance, sticking itself to everything. You could consider a trellis and then grow clematis, for example. Or for an excellent self-clinger, try Pileostegia viburnioides which is evergreen, but has whitish flowers in May.
    However, if the wall is too sunny, it will bleach the leaves. Instead you could try Trachelospermum jasminoides. Disclaimer: I am gardening in the East of England so I don't know how these would do where you are.

Although you could probably get a rose to survive on an east-facing wall if there was enough sun, it wouldn't really be very happy if there wasn't. Better to go for something that will really thrive, I feel? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    With your hedge suggestions, it's also important to know about the depth to the borders. Photinas and Cherry Laurels can get pretty wide once established, and you may find yourself trying to control them several times a year, and leaves can end up being chopped in half if the area is compact. I also agree with Cambridgerose12's comments on Griselinia Littoralis. They may sometimes suffer with the cold, and very often leaf tips are cut back by harsh frost in mid-spring.

Take a look at Cotoneaster Lacteus and Franchetti. They are good options and tend to do well in a range of conditions. 

With the climber on the east wall, I also agree with Cambridgerose12 with Parthenocissus. They can quickly dominate and if you have a small space, you will be forever trying to cut/pull out. I think trained wall climbers could be another option? But as mentioned, the depth and length and height of wall will help on finding more suitable plants.