Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cornus.

cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137
Can anyone recommend a cornus that would give the brightest red stems.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065
    Cornus alba sibirica.   
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108
    Agree. 
    Very easy to start from cuttings if you know anybody that has it. 
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153
    cornus midwinter fire is very vibrant mixture of orange and yellow. RHS Harlow Carr uses them to great affect by planting en mass.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153
    Oops sorry, misread, you want red!🥴
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065
    I find Midwinter Fire fussy.   It resents being hard pruned to get a whole new set of colourful stems each year, easily gets frost bite and suckers like mad when it does decided it's happy.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,716
    Cornus Alba Baton Rouge. I have these and they are very intense red in the winter - they will not disappoint.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,568
    edited December 2020
    I have Cornus alba Elegantissima. It's maybe not the brightest red, but it has variegated leaves so is nice in summer as well as in winter.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • I agree with Cornus alba Elegantissima being both bright stemmed and good-looking foliage. I have two.
    Southampton 
  • cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137
    Many thanks for those fine suggestions. One of the reasons for wanting a good colour, was that a friend was hoping to use the young stems for twining among willow to enhance the making of willow baskets. All good fun!
  • JennyJ said:
    I have Cornus alba Elegantissima. It's maybe not the brightest red, but it has variegated leaves so is nice in summer as well as in winter.
    And it looks lovely in summer partnered with Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo'