Forum home The potting shed

Stupid tech question

B3B3 Posts: 21,414
If you connect wireless headphones to a fairly old tv (panasonic viera to be precise), will they switch the sound off on the TV? I need them .My husband doesn't. No point using them if the sound switches off.
Apparently, if I turn the sound up to suit me, it makes his ears bleed😐
In London. Keen but lazy.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,969
    I think the sound will be directed to your headphones and there will be no sound from the TV speakers. That is the point of headphones really - you can listen but nobody else has to...

For wired headphones you can buy a splitter and then you MAY be able to control the volume independently to each headset. I don’t know if you can do the same with 2 sets of bluetooth headphones.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,093
    On the rare occasions that we watch anything of any length on tv, we sit in separate rooms with different tvs. 😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,364
    How would the wireless headphones connect? And how old is your tv? We have an old (2012) Panasonic Viera tv which does have Bluetooth but that will only connect to keyboards. Maybe newer models than ours can do more. It does have a wired headphone socket which has a separate volume control in the menu system so both should work at the same time. We have ours connected to a full fat AV system so never use the tv's speakers.
  • With the greasr respect.  The mere mention of 'causing ears to bleed.  I suggest seeking profession advice rather than relying upon guesswork by forum members.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,414
    I assume he was speaking metaphorically @Mike Allen. I didn't notice any leaks😉
    Sounds like like have to stick to the hearing aids for now.
    Thanks all.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,788
    Try these @B3
    https://www.findtheneedle.co.uk/companies/has-consultants-ltd/products/infralight-dir-headset-system
    I have them, OH can have normal sound and these you can use as high as you like!
    Great! I'll have a look. Thank you @floralies
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,445
    edited December 2020
    Hi @B3 In my home we have the same situation as you describe re watching TV. I need the sound somewhat louder than my wife does. There are a number of devices enabling a separate output from the TV set. I've used the Sennheiser range for a number of years and have recently bought a more recent model, the Sennheiser RS 2000. Pricey but comfortable. Similar system to the one mentioned by @floralies .
    The real problem is not with those devices but with the available output "sockets" on your TV set. Most TV sets will have a classical headphones jack output, where you plug in the "Docking station" of your wireless headphones.
    Unfortunately, few TV sets allow the sound output
    a) through the loudspeakers and through the headphones at the same time, i.e. when you plug in your headphones (or the docking station) the loudspeakers are muted;
    b) even if plugging headphones does not mute the loudspeakers, the TV's remote control volume knob turns the volume of both headphones and loudspeakers up or down at the same time, which against defeats the purpose.
    When I bought my current TV set I took my wireless headphones equipment to the shop and insisted to try out that all was OK.
    On my current TV I have to go (once only) to the set-up menu(s) in order to select, on the screen, "set headphones and loudspeakers volumes independently".
    Good luck, @B3 and keep us posted with the result of your quest!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Thank you @Papi Jo. I'll look at that one too.