Forum home The potting shed

Would it be weird...

SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
...if someone you’ve only spoken to a couple of times offered you a roast dinner?

There’s an OAP who lives a bit further down my street. We've only spoken a couple of times as she walked past my house. Last week she told me that she will be spending Christmas alone this year. She usually goes to her brother’s house for Christmas. I know if I were to spend Christmas alone, I wouldn’t bother with cooking a roast. 

I’ve been mulling over this for a week and don’t know if it would be odd/weird to go round and ask if she would like me to make her up a roast dinner on Christmas Day. 

Then the other question is the safest way to do this. Would putting everything on one of those foil tin trays and cover with foil be best? She can then put it straight in the oven to warm up and kill off any potential virus. I don’t have any symptoms but you never know! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,157
    It’s a very kind thought, skylarks, and I’m sure if you offered she would be very touched by it.

It’s impossible to say how she would react. I imagine she might refuse but thank you for the idea.

It might be the start of a new friendship though.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,498
    Go for it! :)
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,879
    Skylarks, I think that is a lovely idea. Oddly enough my Bestie's daughter-in-law (who works for Age UK) is going to plate up Christmas dinners for her elderly neighbours. The couple have relatives who live a long distance away and they had mentioned that weren't making a dinner for just the two of them so she stepped in and they are so touched and delighted. It is always worth asking.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • KlinkKlink Posts: 261
    If you know she's definitely going to be alone i think i'd make up a Christmas dinner in a foil tray and take it round anyway,maybe with a little box of chocolates. If you ask first she's likely to refuse out of politeness,i know i would,whereas if it's given you have the choice to eat or not to eat.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480
    edited December 2020
    I think it’s a lovely idea ... but I would ask her first so she doesn’t cook something for herself and waste it ... you could even explain that she’ll be doing you a favour as you’ve got more than you need due to plans having to change and you hate to waste food 😉 
    i think your method sounds fine. 
    bless your kind thoughts 🤗 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,653
    edited December 2020
    I think it's a lovely idea, possibly take a small box of chocolates round as @Klink suggests when you ask her. That way, even if she turns down the offer of a meal you have given her something. 
    Depending on her reaction, you could maybe say something along the lines of "l always make too much so you would be helping me out".
    I can't say for sure about the virus bit, but your suggestion makes sense to me.
    I hope you and your family have a Happy Christmas and she accepts your offer in the spirit it is made.  :)
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    I agree with everyone else that you should ask her. Perhaps start by saying you were sorry to hear she was going to be on her own - after all, she volunteered this information so must be feeling isolated - and propose you plate up a meal. 

For a number of years we were involved with a charity called Contact the Elderly (now Contact). Even the most outwardly upbeat and independent guests who came got so much out of their monthly social. Ask, ask, ask. I can't see how you could offend by offering and even if she says "no" the mere fact you thought of her will go along way.
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    edited December 2020
    Thank you all and for the suggestion she’ll be doing me a favour. I’ll pop round with a box of chocolates and ask  :)

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas 🎄
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,007
    Do let us know the outcome. 
    AB Still learning

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736
    Yes, ask just in case she's veggi, but I agree, a lovely idea.