Forum home The potting shed

Closure of a very troubled year.

What can be said about the year 2020?  Worldwide, people of all nationalities and creeds have been involved with this dreadful Covid-19 virus.  Where will it all end, and more importantly.  When will it end.

Thankfully.  As so often quoted.  Gardening, horticulture has proved time and time again, to be a great therapeutic healer and comforter.  Following members threads here on the forum.  It has proved that no virus, Black Spot Leaf Blight or whatever can thwart the continued efforts of gardeners to stick together.   I recall back in 2014.  I receieved a gigantic floral arrangement from members.  I'd undergone bladder cancer surgery.  Since then, sadly I have had countless operations, and the cancer returns.  Nevertheless I still cherrish that kind loving gesture.

As most members know.  I do not celebrate Christmas.  I would like however to wish each and every member, all the very best and hope for a much more comforting and enjoyable 2021.  Stay Saf and God Bless.

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 987
    Mike Allen Like you, Mike, we gave up on Christmas years ago and merely sit tight and wait for it to go away.  Our final decision was made when it was revealed families were taking out extra credit cards, just to pay for Christmas.  We weren't among them but the farcity of the situation was all too clear.  By all means celebrate the true meaning of it but, with only 2% of the population attending UK churches, it seems most use a date on the calendar as an excuse for extravagance.  Good luck with your health.  I think we knew each other on an Irish site with similar theme?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508
    Sorry to hear that your problems are still ongoing Mike, I do hope that you will be on the way to recovery soon.
    Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Just me and the dog for Christmas lunch this year - so all the more sprouts for me :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    @Pete.8 you're eating the dog for lunch, lol.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,964
    @Mike Allen  What a lovely message.  So thoughtful.  Christmas is a day to get through here as well....and as well as possible.  A special meal with a thoughtful present, handmade or bought.  

I know that word "cancer".  You're brave to even pronounce it.  Much courage to you for the forthcoming year.  Kia kaha which is maori for "Stay strong."

Tui
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 618
    edited December 2020

Merry Xmas.
    Sunny Dundee
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    Very tough times for you @Balgay.Hill ... our thoughts are with you and yours. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you.
    I've deleted my post.
    Sunny Dundee
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    I understand ... you must feel very raw ... take care of yourself too. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,964
    @Balgay.Hill  Hello!  Best and warmest wishes to you and your family for a happy day on the 25th - together or distanced.  My family is far away - but not in thought.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    Happy Midwinter. The days get longer from now on and we can start to look forward to the new growing season. With Covid and Brexit there doesn't seem to be much to be happy about but the thought of seed planting can warm a gardener's heart.
    Stay safe.