Forum home Fruit & veg

Creatures that eat rhubarb and strawberries.

2»

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,487
    The plot thickens!

How good are badgers at climbing? We have a temporary barrier at the side of the house, which would be the easiest access point to the back garden.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Badgers are not very good at climbing, so if your garden is enclosed by fences (they will go through thorny hedges without issue) then squirrels are more likely.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Agree with @BobTheGardener badgers aren't good climbers but they will go under fences with ease.
    Foxes though are great climbers but would they go for rhubarb or strawberries?
    Badgers do love strawberries so is there another way they have access to your garden?
    Pigeons have never gone for our rhubarb (anything else yes) and squirrels just go for anything that has a nut factor.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,976
    Squirrels will have a go at anything, they dig, and take unripe fruits. 
    AB Still learning

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,426
    But do badgers love strawberry PLANTS - I believe that's what's being eaten...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,487
    Yes - it is the foliage of strawberry plants that have disappeared @Liriodendron. I doubt that there is anywhere badgers could get in.

I've been considering setting up a camera to see what goes on in the back garden anyway so this might just clinch it.
  • My doberman eats strawberries he picks his own when I am not looking.