Forum home Plants

Evergreen Hedging for in planters

hi all. Newish to gardening. I’ve had a new lowish wall built at the front of our house. I’m looking for an evergreen shrub/hedge that I can keep in containers on top of the wall as a screen. I’d like it be 3 to 4 ft tall but still look nice but low maintenance . Does anyone have any advice on the best shrubs/hedging to use (apart from bamboo) 
thank you in advance 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    @paulajennerOjloGs1Z  How big/deep are the planters?  Can you attach a photo?  Hedging plants tend to be quite hungry and thirsty plants, and need a decent amount of soil.  We have some variegated Privet (Ligustrum argenteum) in a large trough, and it is perfectly happy, however we have to water it regularly, and prune it several times a year.  Standard or Gold Privet would work just as well, as long as there is enough soil/watering.

Some other plants that you could consider are Euonymus, Lonicera nitida, Pittosporum (these are not fully hardy, so check if they are hardy where you live).  Others may have some different suggestions.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,318
    I have 3 Indian Hawthorn (Rhaphiolepis indica) that I have used to create a small hedge. I've been really pleased with them.
    The young fur-covered stems and foliage is attractive and the abundant waxy pink flowers last for quite a few weeks.
    Not entirely hardy everywhere in the UK and prefer a neutral/slightly acidic soil or compost if in a container.
    Rarely needs pruning.
    As KOG says above - whatever you plant in a container will need plenty of water.

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/rhaphiolepis-indica-springtime-monme/classid.4321/

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,998
    Mrytle is lovely
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    You say containers on top of the wall,  how wide is it? I assume most walls would be  9 inches, if so nothing will grow. Is there a reason why you can't plant in front of the wall?  You could keep the stems clear and allow the plamt to bush out above the wall. Viburnum tinus would look nice.
  • thank you all. We have tarmac up to both sides of the wall so no where to plant in the ground. Not bought any containers yet as wanted to understand the plants first and then buy suitable. I’ll have a look at your suggestions. Thanks you again 
  • You'll also have to think about how you will fix the containers to the wall.
    I have green thumbs and no aphids on my roses.
  • I’m struggling to think how you can have the large containers that hedging plants will need, balanced on top of a wall.  Coupled with that they will need a huge amount of watering throughout most of the year. 

Can you show us some photos of the site so we can get some idea of the options available to you  😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2021
    Pete.8 said:
    I have 3 Indian Hawthorn (Rhaphiolepis indica) that I have used to create a small hedge. I've been really pleased with them.
    The young fur-covered stems and foliage is attractive and the abundant waxy pink flowers last for quite a few weeks.
    Not entirely hardy everywhere in the UK and prefer a neutral/slightly acidic soil or compost if in a container.
    Rarely needs pruning.
    As KOG says above - whatever you plant in a container will need plenty of water.

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/rhaphiolepis-indica-springtime-monme/classid.4321/
    Don't think they will be hardy in Derbyshire dales.

Quote..RHS...."Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)"

Sorry, not posted this before..stuck in drafts for ages.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .