Forum home Tools and techniques

Weird question about composting in a pit

ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 242
Not really composting as such, I suppose, but I was wondering about the practicalities of burying food waste in the garden. I want to clean out the freezer and I know there are a few things in there that could possibly be composted but I don't want to put them in the normal pile because they might attract the numerous neighborhood cats and such.

Also, and this is the weird part, one of the things is a chunk of our wedding cake from, er, several years ago. I don't really know why I kept it in the first place except some strange superstition my mother told me about, but it seems wrong to just chuck it in the bin. I was thinking that burying it in the garden so it can feed next year's vegetables is more fitting, but is that crazy talk?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,510
    I would crumble up wedding cake and let the birds have it.  Any veg can go in the compost heap or buried. Burying meat is asking for foxes to dig it up. Just put it in the dustbins.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,513
    You’ll attract rats by the hundreds! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,955
    Foxes dig surprisingly deep, too! When my daughter moved to her present house we turned out the dalek compost bin they had left. It was full of chicken carcases (cooked!) and bits of lamb leg with all the plant waste. Very off putting, even though ancient. You might find yourself accidentally digging up the bits, later.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 242
    I was only planning to bury the mystery frozen vegetable and bread stuff. In the past I dug up an old concrete fence footing (about 18" deep) and dumped some vegetable and fruit peelings in the hole before filling it back in. I was mostly wondering if the cake would be bad for the worms etc.

Fortunately I've never seen a rat, fox, or squirrel in the neighborhood, just a million cats. I'm sure they might be out there somewhere but they are not very prominent, so I'm not too worried about that.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,957
    I’d put the cake on the bird table and compost the veg. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh