Forum home Plants

Peonies

I have some peonies that I grow in pots and I want to plant them out into a garden border. When is the best time to do this?
I have heard that they hate having their roots disturbed? 
I also have some new peony tubers(?) that I have just received. When is the best time to plant them out? 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    The ground is cold at the moment, so I would leave the ones in pots for now, and plant in early Spring.  The tubers shouldn't dry out, so put them in moist compost as soon as possible in a pot.  They are hardy so you should put them outside, but perhaps somewhere a bit sheltered from the worst of the weather, as it will be a bit of a shock for them.

It is a myth that they don't like root disturbance.  They will not flower if planted to deeply, that is what most people get wrong (including me!).  The crown of the plant should be planted no deeper than about 1 inch below the soil.  It's OK if the crown is slightly showing above the soil.  They also need full sun to flower well, so avoid placing them in a spot which is shaded by other plants.
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457
    I'm not an expert on peonies but I'd be tempted to let them flower in the pot before planting out in about end May/June once they are over.  Then keep them watered over the summer.  I'd worry that planting them now would create a wet sump for the roots.  I don't know about the new tubers but instinct would be to pot up in barely damp compost and keep dry over winter then gradually start watering in spring.
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457
    I should say i've rescued two peonies in two different gardens and brought them on to flower. I don't find they dislike being moved but they don't seem keen on being overcrowded. Divas! 😊
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Depends where you are. My soil is still warm and not too wet. Peonies generally prefer to be in the ground so if your conditions are ok, I'd get them planted.