Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Goldfinches are arriving!

floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,589
I am pleased to announce they are starting to arrive! There must have been plenty of food out in the hedgerows. The only problem now is that they will eat me out of house and home.   :open_mouth:

• cornellycornelly Posts: 961
    Pleased to know you have the pretty little songbirds at your feeders, they never leave me in South Wales, but numbers have been low since breeding, they are beginning to climb again now, into double figures, and eating me out of house and home.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,253
    I love the liquid twittering song they make when moving along the hedges and shrubs. It took me a while to realise it was the goldfinches which had that song as we have lots of other species around making it hard to attribute each sound to each species.
  • They are incredibly aggressive for their size, too. The little thugs of the bird world. I regularly see them bullying birds twice their size away from feeders!
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,589
    Oh yes they can be very aggressive, and one of the messiest nesting birds!
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 961
    They are messy at the feeders dropping uneaten seed to the floor, which with us is paved, so ground feeders get a look in.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,504
    We had a group this morning. For some reason they joined the dunnocks on the floor  rather than using the feeders.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 206
    It's a bit sodden here today but the Coaltits are the messiest throwing seed on the ground until they find what they fancy, it's a mixed bird seed at the mo in the one feeder and fat balls in the other. The last week we have had one or two apples going over so thrown them on the garden, we watch the blackbirds come and nibble them for breakfast, a joy.