Forum home Plants

Supervivum ' Hedgehog!

ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 258
Anybody think I have a chance of propagating some baby plants ? Or wasting my time. I do the usual way of pulling off baby ones with roots on and potting on but we thought ! Give it go, as you do. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    I would say that you've dismantled a haworthia rather than a semp but neither propagate well like this as far as I know. I think they require stem material attached to leaves to regenerate but both make numerous offsets quickly so it's better to let them take care of it themselves. 
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Yes agree with @wild edges , those haworthia aren't going to make it, I think. Wait until you get an offset, leave it for a good few months to develop its own root, then slice it off the mother plant with a sharp blade, keeping the root intact. Leave the offset to dry on kitchen towel for a day, so the cut calluses over. Then repot into a very gritty mix.
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 258
    The three in the pots were the offshoots with roots from a big Mother one , they have been in those pots for about 6 weeks and Their coming on good.Looked at my  'House Plant Expert ' by  Dr D G Hessayon' and look at the pics that's where I got Hedgehog Aloe from. what do you think to be honest both varieties look so so similar,but mine have very fine hairs at the top of each leaf . Umh 
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 258
    It worked ! Surprise Surprise. I got 4 to take as well. All in their new pots with plenty of grit, will bring them into the bungalow later they are recovering on the bench by our pond, saying that we are having sporadic showers today better bring them in. Roll on next week here in South Wales the cold nights should be gone can start to move on our new seedlings. Trying Skizanthos (trailing) this year for our Hanging baskets, pots and troughs growing really good, something different, we kept the seeds from last year. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    You've done well to get them to root from a leaf. I think you're right about them being an aloe though, probably aloe aristata.

This is my sempervivum hedgehog. It's Sempervivum x barbulatum 'Hookeri' which makes lovely little soft clumps.

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people