Forum home Garden design

Narrow gap

I have recently had a brick workshop built in the garden
it has left me with a long narrow’alleyway’ 
measurements 8ftx18 inches
any ideas for uses? I don’t want it to become a ‘dumping ground’ it’s quite shaded so wondered about plants? Otherwise it will just be gravelled

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,478
    What's on the other side? I think I would just gravel it anyway.
  • A wall, it’s the main part of the house with an original extension built off the back of the house and now a workshop next to it so two smaller buildings side by side attached to the back of the house
  • You’re probably right 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,998
    You can be sure some weeds will grow. Maybe they'll be pretty
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Any ideas if it’s worth sowing anything? 
  • CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451
    I have a similar area due to extension.  I have decided to leave it nude.  No plants and I'm a plantaholic!  Just a path.  Keep it simple.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,998
    If it was me, I'd sprinkle a cheap packet of wildflower seeds in too of the gravel and see what, if anything, pops up. Then you'd have an idea of what would grow
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Alchemilla Mollis or the smaller Alchemilla Alpina may do fine there, with decorative leaf form for many months of the year.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    I have Hartstongue ferns establishing themselves nicely in a similar space. We started with three but there’s probably a couple of dozen or more there now. They require little care and just ‘get on with it’ by themselves. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Okay, sounds like a nice ideas .